Author Topic: Executables on Commandline Jobs?  (Read 3773 times)

drago

Executables on Commandline Jobs?
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
Is it normal to have an executable load in the background when called upon through the commandline in Qube!?

I'm having quite a few issues with Command line jobs. Running an executable doesn't seem to work.

I have tried simple commands such as "mkdir" and it does work. However, simply opening an executable (as a test) doesn't want to work. For example I have tried simply opening 3D Studio Max. I've tried many different variations of this simple command but Max never opens on the specified machine:

C:\\Program Files\\Autodesk\\3ds Max 2011\\3dsmax.exe

I have tried as it was suggested to experiment with using "/"s and "\"s and "\\"s

Below is a screenshot of my typical submission dialog... I am specifying a machine as I don't want Max to open on every machine.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:09:22 PM by drago »

jburk

• Administrator
Re: Executables on Commandline Jobs?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:46 PM »
If you are running windows 7 or Vista, system services cannot access the desktop, or access the screenspace of a user's desktop.

Since the workers run as a service, Max is unable to launch and display it's splash screen or UI.

This is why we take special care to run applications in non-GUI or prompt mode.

You might want to investigate how the "3dsMax BatchRender" jobs run Max commands from the command-line.

drago

Re: Executables on Commandline Jobs?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »
Thank you as support indicated to us. What we needed to do was switch from "Service" to work as "Desktop User"