Author Topic: Qube! causes Windows to be unstable ???  (Read 6314 times)

upperstorey

Qube! causes Windows to be unstable ???
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:58:50 AM »
Hi, this is upperstorey again. I have solved my problem previously. However, i have another 'problem' or enquiry that i need to clarify.

Firstly, all my Qube! users complained to me that Qube! is making their windows unstable. They will encounter frequent explorer crashes. Is this a reported issue and is there any patch for this ??? Using Qube! 4.0, Windows XP SP 2, Windows 2000 SP4.

Secondly, after i installed Qube! on their machine, they can't seems to shutdown their pc using the usual procedures (Start, shutdown, and select shutdown from the drop down list). Only Logged Off is available on the 'shutdown dropdown list'. Shutdown, restart were not avaiable. Is this a reported issue too ??

Thanks in advance.

anthony

• Senior Software Engineer
Re: Qube! causes Windows to be unstable ???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 09:00:49 AM »
Hey upperstory,

This is actually the first report we've had of unstability in windows.  However I'll need a little more information about your hardware situation.  Are these AMD? Intel?  64bit? 32bit?   

As far as the shutdown issue this is a known bug in our installer, and we'll be addressing it in our service release.  The way to fix it is to goto the "Local Security Policy" under the control panel/administrative tools.  Under Local Policies->User Rights Assignment, "Shutdown the System" add "Users".

Thanks,
           Anthony

upperstorey

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 09:09:20 AM »
The machines i am using are either AMD Athlon XP Athlon 64, or Opteron processors...........

Are there any known compaitability issues with Qube! and other softwares ? Thanks.

anthony

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:42:31 PM »
Hey upperstory,

Ok I suspect you're having issues with the watchdog service.  This is a known issue as well on 64bit platforms.  To fix this, you'll have to startup in safe mode.  Select Services from the Control Panel and disable the qubewatchdog service.  We're also including this fix in our service release as well.

Thanks,
          Anthony

upperstorey

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 03:37:02 AM »
will disabling Qubewatchdog disrupt any services ???

anthony

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 03:46:02 AM »
Hey upperstory,

No, the qubewatchdog is only used for the purposes of monitoring the host's user activity.  It doesn't affect the operation of qube!'s core functionality.

Anthony

upperstorey

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 06:28:14 AM »
Thanks. Disabled that and it seems more stable now............Thanks and hopefully the patch will arrive soon....  :P