Author Topic: weird subjob behaviour / frames not rendering on all subjobs  (Read 3686 times)

rhagen

weird subjob behaviour / frames not rendering on all subjobs
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:06 PM »
Hi there - I imagine this is something bad in my configuration but I don't know where to start troubleshooting.  I actually have 2 problems but they seem related.

The first issue is that when SOME jobs reach 100% complete, there are still subjobs showing as running. If I block them then complete them, the job goes to complete. This happens on certain users jobs more often than others, but it isn't always guaranteed - i.e. sometimes a given user will have a 100% job that completes normally and sometimes I have to block / complete it to get it to release all the subjobs.

I also notice that Qube is lately having trouble matching running frames to the amount of subjobs that are running. Such as if a user wants 40 processes on a host.processors=1 job, the GUI will say "40/40" but the properties might say, "(9 complete,5 running,60 pending)"  However, they are indeed getting 40 running subjobs. ON jobs such as this, I will usually (though, again, not always) have to do the "block job / complete subjobs" to free up the processes.

rhagen

Re: weird subjob behaviour / frames not rendering on all subjobs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
If it helps, I'm currently on 6.2.2 (will upgrade to 6.2.4 this week hopefully); all clients are Windows 7 Pro, server's running on Windows Server 2008. The logs and files are all kept on their own server that also runs Windows Server 2008. I'm running in proxy mode and I have logged in on all the machines as qubeproxy and started both 2011 and 2012 mayas to obtain the startup config default preferences.

The supervisor server is a beast of a machine but may be suffering a little from a lack of bandwidth (at the moment only 1 gigabit in/out. I am looking to team some connections but find I have no room at the switches to do so yet).

The jobs we're running are normal "Maya Jobs" from Maya 2011 SP1 and Maya 2012 SP2. Most jobs are mentalray but there are a few jobs that use vray. 

Interestingly the vray jobs (both 2011 and 2012) do not exhibit the above behavior as often as the mentalray jobs do.  Also to note that the jobs ARE rendering and completing in what I consider to be a decent speed. I just wanted to know if the "runaway" subjobs and that I appear to not be getting a subjob per frame are a configuration error and if so, what I can do about it.

rhagen

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
I uninstalled Maya 2011 and 2012, reinstalled. I also upgraded to 6.2.4 and reset the mysql database and that seems to have restored functionality (it still has a discrepancy between running subjobs and running frames but the discrepancies are within +/- 5  - i.e. like 40 running subjobs now will report 38 running frames instead of just 1 or 2)

edit * the subjobs are still doing the "100% running" phenomenon which is "resolved" by blocking the job, then completing the subjobs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:44:26 AM by rhagen »

BrianK

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:51 AM »
I'm not sure if I correctly understand the symptom.  Are you seeing some subjobs not completing but all frames are finished?  ... or is it something else?

I suspect it is just that.  If that's the case, the issue should be resolved with an upgrade to 6.2.4 or 6.3.3.