Author Topic: Why are unreachable workers displayed as "idle"  (Read 7154 times)

instinct-vfx

Why are unreachable workers displayed as "idle"
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »
Hey there,

i have a worker that is unreachable (ping does not work from the GUI on the Supervisor) and that hence cannot take part in any jobs. Yet there is no indication of a problem whatsoever and the state is reported as "idle". Any ideas? This can not be expected behavior, can it?

Regards,
Thorsten

michael.graf

Re: Why are unreachable workers displayed as "idle"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 01:20:23 AM »
can you ping the machine of the "idle" worker from the a command line on the server running the supervisor? Try the name and IP. Could be a DNS issue, try nslookup on the server running the supervisor.

Then try the same thing from the worker to the supervisor server.

These machines using static or DHCP IPs?

instinct-vfx

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »
Thanks for the input. I did manage to get workers to work by properly setting up domains and hosts. But my question was why they are displayed as idle even tho they are not qbpingable. So everything looks normal, but the workers would not do anything obviously.

Regards,
Thorsten

BrianK

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
Machines sometimes take a while to report as being down.  It shouldn't take more than 10-20 minutes, but that is certainly possible.

If you want to force the issue, you can make the supervisor update all worker status by running:

qbadmin worker --refresh