Author Topic: Command Line installer?  (Read 8880 times)

ashok

Command Line installer?
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:13:44 PM »
Hello,

I was wondering if there was a command line (non-gui) installer for Linux. If not, are rpms still available and where would I find these?

Thanks!

BrianK

Re: Command Line installer?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:29:55 PM »
RPMs have and will continue to be available for Linux on our ftp site (along with dmgs for OS X and msis for Windows).  If you are missing your ftp credentials, you can request them from support@pipelinefx.com.

Aside from basic RPM installation, the QubeInstaller ( http://pipelinefx.com/products/qube-installer/ ) runs as either a GUI or nonGUI application on all platforms.  In order to run in non-GUI mode, you must first run in GUI mode on any computer on any platform.  Doing so will create a .qks file that can then be used on any platform with the installer in non-GUI mode.

The most common use case is to run the installer in GUI mode, choose the "upgrade" option & allow the installer to do the upgrade. Then, next to the manifest file (.qms file - it will live in the directory you specified on the manifest selection page), there will be a qube-upgrade-<version>-kickstart.qks file.  You can then run an upgrade on any other computer, regardless of OS or component selection using that file & that computer's Qube components will be upgraded.  You would run it like so:

sudo qubeInstaller-<version>-<OS> /path/to/qube-upgrade-<version>-kickstart.qks

Assuming the computer has access to the internet, it will download (if not already downloaded) and install the components necessary to upgrade this computer to the same version that you upgraded to in the initial step.

Again, you can use the same qks file on every computer in your facility.  I would recommend that you put the installer(s) and qks file on a file server.  I would recommend against having multiple machines downloading software at the same time, however (they may all try to write to the same file, corrupting the file).  Do one computer of each OS first, then you can do every other computer with a script.

edited to add: http://docs.pipelinefx.com/x/8AQ1 documents command-line usage of the installer
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:32:26 PM by BrianK »

ashok

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:00:52 PM »
Thank you very much for the help, Brian. I tried running the installer by double clicking and nothing happened. When I tried starting up through the command line, I got this:

Code: [Select]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 21, in <module>
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 386, in importHook
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 449, in doimport
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 248, in getmod
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/archive.py", line 495, in getmod
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 105, in getmod
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 386, in importHook
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 449, in doimport
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 248, in getmod
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/archive.py", line 495, in getmod
  File "/opt/qubeViewerBuildRoot/pyinstaller-2.0/PyInstaller/loader/iu.py", line 105, in getmod
ImportError: /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: _XGetRequest

I tried this using qubeInstaller.CentOS6.0and qubeInstaller.CentOS6.3 on CentOS6.4.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:19:57 PM by ashok »

BrianK

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »
You're using an older version of the installer.

This was fixed in version 1.1-3. http://pipelinefx.com/products/qube-installer/#installers

edited to add:  In Linux, you must run/launch the installer from the command line, even if you're running in GUI mode.  If you try to double click, you will get a "you must run the installer as root or sudo" dialog (unless, of course, you're running X as root, but you wouldn't be doing that.  ;) )

edited again to add:  The next release (probably called 1.2) will have the ability to check for newer versions of itself.  When will 1.2 be out?  Probably after SIGGRAPH.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:08:40 AM by BrianK »

ashok

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:57:57 PM »
I just realized I copied the name of the tar file and not the actual installer. We are in fact using  qubeInstaller.1.1-3.CentOS6.3, which we downloaded from the same link you provide this morning.

BrianK

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:06:36 AM »
That's odd.  I just now installed a clean, new, CentOS 6.3 & can run the installer just fine.  Can you do me a favor & do an "ls -l /usr/lib64/libGL.so*" and reply with the return?

ashok

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 05:29:44 PM »
Here you go:

ls -l /usr/lib64/libGL.so*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root     14 Jun 21 16:27 /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1 -> libGL.so.1.2.0
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 532864 Jun  3 11:22 /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2.0

BrianK

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
Ahh.  Your libGL has been updated from the default Cent63 supplied version.  The installer is linked against the default but is trying to use yours rather than the supplied [default] libGL.

I'll file a bug report.

ashok

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 05:54:18 PM »
Thanks for checking this out, Brian! Please let us know of any updates.

Thanks again!

Ashok

BrianK

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »
To follow up, this problem (identified by the libGL error message) has been solved with QubeInstaller v2.0 which was just made available on our website: http://pipelinefx.com/products/qube-installer/

For the googlers, you might find this same issue with ArtistView.  This will be solved with ArtistView 6.5-2.  If someone needs it before 6.5-2 is released, please contact support@pipelinefx.com.

-Brian
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:06:57 PM by BrianK »