Author Topic: 3ds Max rendering on Linux  (Read 9504 times)

inquisitive

3ds Max rendering on Linux
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:55:35 PM »
I am looking to set up a 3ds Max render farm using Qube. The network topography would be something like this:

- A supervisor workstation (with installed 3ds Max) running Windows XP Pro. This machine also hosts the Supervisor version of Qube render management software. Mental Ray, Brazil r/s, and V-Ray render engines are also installed.

- A domain controller machine, which doesn't get involved in the rendering activity, but merely manages the user rights for all machines on the network.

- Several hundred high density blade servers that act as the actual rendering machines. This machine contains the render node versions of Qube (AND THE REQUIRED VERSIONS OF 3DS MAX, BRAZIL R/S, MENTAL RAY AND V-RAY**)

Here are my questions:

1) ** What are the exact versions of (a) the rendering engines and (b) 3ds Max that need to be installed on the rendering machines?

2) Can I use Linux as the OS for the rendering machines? (Remember, supervisor will remain Windows XP Pro.) Will whatever versions/components of 3ds Max, mental Ray, Brazil, V-Ray that you mentioned as answer to Question 1 run on such Linux rendering machines without any trouble?

eric

Re: 3ds Max rendering on Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:21:29 PM »
1) ** What are the exact versions of (a) the rendering engines and (b) 3ds Max that need to be installed on the rendering machines?

We support 3DS Max from version 7 through version 9. While we do support 3DS Max and any compliant render solutions, we can't guarantee a specific configuration of renderer outside of the stock renderer that ships with 3DS. You'll want to consult with the vendors for these renderers to see what versions of Max they're compatible with.

2) Can I use Linux as the OS for the rendering machines? (Remember, supervisor will remain Windows XP Pro.) Will whatever versions/components of 3ds Max, mental Ray, Brazil, V-Ray that you mentioned as answer to Question 1 run on such Linux rendering machines without any trouble?

3DS Max is not compatible with Linux, so we don't offer support for a Max-based renderer on the Linux platform.

inquisitive

Re: 3ds Max rendering on Linux
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »
Eric,

Thanks!