Author Topic: Best way to perform Qube! upgrade  (Read 8010 times)

foobar

Best way to perform Qube! upgrade
« on: October 17, 2007, 08:59:33 PM »
I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I just don't know where! :)

What is the best way to upgrade an entire Qube installation? By this, I mean, how can I easily upgrade the supervisor and all the workers?

Also, where can I download the most current version of Qube?

Thanks!

eric

Re: Best way to perform Qube! upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 02:10:00 AM »
I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I just don't know where! :)

What is the best way to upgrade an entire Qube installation? By this, I mean, how can I easily upgrade the supervisor and all the workers?

I'm not sure what you mean by "easily." Can you be more specific?

Also, where can I download the most current version of Qube?

Thanks!

If you're a customer on support, you can download Qube from our FTP server using the login and password you were issued along with your license keys.

foobar

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »

"easily" != "hard"   ;)

I would like to upgrade the supervisor THEN upgrade all the workers at once without needing to remotely log into each node to install the upgrade. I'm sure there's a way to do a global worker upgrade...I just don't know how to do it! :)

Thanks!

eric

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »

"easily" != "hard"   ;)

I would like to upgrade the supervisor THEN upgrade all the workers at once without needing to remotely log into each node to install the upgrade. I'm sure there's a way to do a global worker upgrade...I just don't know how to do it! :)

Thanks!

No, that's pretty much how it goes. There are a number of different 3rd-party software distribution systems that might be useful. Alternatively, you could qbsub the upgrades as commands using the host_list flag to force execution across a set of hosts. However, this is not a standard upgrade procedure that we support.

arenyart

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:41:02 AM »
I don't work for Qube so I hope this advice is not out of line, but I have found that creating a batch script using msiexec (so you don't have to answer all the questions) works best. I usually run it manually on each machine after that.  I created a bunch of rdp files so I can quickly remote into all the machines, but you could also run the batch script through qube, as described above. 

Here is an example of the batch script I use (replace "file_servername accordingly):

@echo ...
@echo Now Installing Active Perl...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Qube Core...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-core-5.2-1-Windows-x86.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Qube Worker...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-worker-5.2-1-Windows-x86.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Qube Job Type Lib...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-jobtypelib.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Maya Plugin...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-mayajt.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the 3dsMax Plugin...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-3dsmaxjt.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Copying Utils.pm File...
@copy "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\Utils.pm" "C:\Program Files\pfx\jobtypes\maya\Utils.pm"
@echo ...
@echo Qube Install Completed...
@pause

If you have never made an rdp file its easy.  Either open remote desktop and fill out all the information and hit "save", or you can use a text editor and use the template below as a starting point (just save it out of your text editor as a .rdp file):

screen mode id:i:1
desktopwidth:i:640
desktopheight:i:480
session bpp:i:16
auto connect:i:1
full address:s:machine_name
compression:i:1
keyboardhook:i:2
audiomode:i:2
redirectdrives:i:0
redirectprinters:i:0
redirectcomports:i:0
redirectsmartcards:i:0
displayconnectionbar:i:1
username:s:your_username
domain:s:yourdomain
alternate shell:s:
shell working directory:s:
disable wallpaper:i:1
disable full window drag:i:1
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:1
bitmapcachepersistenable:i:1

Hope that helps.

eric

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:49:48 AM »
Thanks for the tip!
Don't worry about getting out of line; It's nice to see contributions from our customers.

christine2204

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:26:25 AM »
I don't work for Qube so I hope this advice is not out of line, but I have found that creating a batch script using msiexec (so you don't have to answer all the questions) works best. I usually run it manually on each machine after that.  I created a bunch of rdp files so I can quickly remote into all the machines, but you could also run the batch script through qube, as described above. 

Here is an example of the batch script I use (replace "file_servername accordingly):

@echo ...
@echo Now Installing Active Perl...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Qube Core...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-core-5.2-1-Windows-x86.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Qube Worker...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-worker-5.2-1-Windows-x86.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Qube Job Type Lib...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-jobtypelib.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the Maya Plugin...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-mayajt.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Now Installing the 3dsMax Plugin...
@start /wait msiexec /i "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\qube-3dsmaxjt.msi" /qb!
@echo ...
@echo Copying Utils.pm File...
@copy "\\file_server_name\qube\5.2\32bit\Utils.pm" "C:\Program Files\pfx\jobtypes\maya\Utils.pm"
@echo ...
@echo Qube Install Completed...
@pause

If you have never made an rdp file its easy.  Either open remote desktop and fill out all the information and hit "save", or you can use a text editor and use the template below as a starting point (just save it out of your text editor as a .rdp file):

screen mode id:i:1
desktopwidth:i:640
desktopheight:i:480
session bpp:i:16
auto connect:i:1
full address:s:machine_name
compression:i:1
keyboardhook:i:2
audiomode:i:2
redirectdrives:i:0
redirectprinters:i:0
redirectcomports:i:0
redirectsmartcards:i:0
displayconnectionbar:i:1
username:s:your_username
domain:s:yourdomain
alternate shell:s:
shell working directory:s:
disable wallpaper:i:1
disable full window drag:i:1
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:1
bitmapcachepersistenable:i:1

Hope that helps.

Does the method above can be use in Linux and MacOS as well? Same way to apply?

eric

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »
No,
Arenyart's technique only works for Windows installations.

anthony

• Senior Software Engineer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 10:19:46 AM »
for linux and osx boxes, remote upgrade is fairly simple as well.  Just setup ssh to allow root logins using a remote host without password.  This is accomplished by setting up a trusted host relationship in the /root/.ssh directory. 

Read this link to get a better idea.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_SSH_without_a_password

Then you can use the "rpm" or "package" tools respectivly to upgrade your host.

ssh -l root rpm -U qube-*.rpm