Author Topic: Does DHCP impact Qube? Does Qube! reference a DNS or WINS server?  (Read 4568 times)

foobar

Does DHCP impact Qube? If so, how?

Does Qube keep its own IP-to-hostname table or does it querry the DNS for this information?

I ask because it seems as though Qube is using an old computer hostname for a given IP address instead of the proper hostname. Is there a way I can check this?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 09:24:46 PM by anthony »

anthony

• Senior Software Engineer
Re: DHCP and Qube
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:17:59 PM »
Qube uses the hostname returned to it by the operating system.  The supervisor doesn't query the DNS server or WINS server for the information.  The supervisor also doesn't rely on the name server to communicate with it's workers, so DHCP doesn't affect it since the workers user the host's mac address to identify itself to the supervisor.

How are you setting up the hostnames on the machine?  are you setting it using a DNS or WINS server for resolution?

foobar

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 10:05:43 PM »
Interesting. We use DNS. I'll have to look into it further and see if I can give you a more detailed explanation. Thanks!

anthony

• Senior Software Engineer
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:24:03 PM »
No problem.  I'm gonna rename the topic slightly to make it easier for outside readers.