Author Topic: Network drive issue with Qube 5.2/3dsMax9  (Read 3590 times)

Shunter

Network drive issue with Qube 5.2/3dsMax9
« on: January 25, 2008, 12:29:05 PM »
Hello all,

Having used Qube 5.0 with Max 8 for a year I've just upgraded our farm to Qube 5.2 and Max 9/SP2. The workers do an auto-login and have a persistent Q: network mapping. Automounting is turned off as we don't use a Windows domain, we use eDirectory and Netware/Linux servers. This worked fine for the last 12 months; jobs were submitted in Q:\StudentID\Render\SceneFile.max and Q:\StudentID\Render\OutputFrame.jpg format.

Since upgrading to Qube 5.2 this no longer works. The log shows:
ERROR: scenefile [Q:\c0000021\Render\scene.max] does not exist on the execution machine [RENDER2]
which obviously isn't true - paste that into Win Explorer and up comes the scene file.

Using a single worker, I put the scene file on a local drive which of course works fine. I realise network mappings only exist in the user space, so is Qube not using the currently logged in user (and hence its mappings), running it as something else? Proxy user is not configured.

Any help appreciated, I'd kinda like to have it up and running for Monday.

Cheers

shinya

• Administrator
Re: Network drive issue with Qube 5.2/3dsMax9
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:28:56 AM »
Hi Shunter, sorry for the delay.

Actually, Qube on Windows XP Pro (and 2003) will not use the currently-logged on user's mapped drives.  Instead, every job creates it's own session, and each session will have it's own network drive map space.  It's been that way for as long as we've supported XP.  (Win2k, on the other hand, didn't have the concept of multiple sessions, so each job was forced to use the same network drive map space as the logged-on user).

So, if you weren't using win2k previously, I'm not sure how you were getting your jobs to see the mounts.

I'm not sure how "eDirectory and Netware/Linux servers" are used to authenticate users on windows, but if you can elaborate us on that a bit, we can probably help.  We may also need to see your logs (workerlog, especially).

BTW, please note that our automount feature can be used even if your site doesn't use a windows domain, although it may need specific settings.  For example, you can use a local proxy user in conjunction with automount, but the proxy user will also need rights to mount (and to do read/write) your storage server volumes.

Anyway, if you had things working in the last 12 months using 5.0, I'm certain that we can get you set up properly with 5.2. 

If you need more space for your reply and workerlog, please feel free to send them to support@pipelinefx.com , and one of us will be happy to assist you further.

Thanks!