Author Topic: setting multiple clusters on the same render node?  (Read 3680 times)

foureyes

setting multiple clusters on the same render node?
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »
1. Can I assign multiple worker clusters for the same render node? Such as worker_cluster=/Thomas, /Tom, /Andy

The reason is I have more users than render nodes, but I want to allocate the render nodes resources more evenly so that each user can at least get some render node to treat them as priority. When each user submit their job, he will type his name as in the cluster field.

2. To further automate the arrangement, can I set by default when each user such as Thomas login in Windows, the qb.conf will be modified to client_cluster=/Thomas, and when Tom login the same machine, the qb.conf will be modified to client_cluster=/Tom?

Thanks.

eric

Re: setting multiple clusters on the same render node?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
1. Can I assign multiple worker clusters for the same render node? Such as worker_cluster=/Thomas, /Tom, /Andy

The reason is I have more users than render nodes, but I want to allocate the render nodes resources more evenly so that each user can at least get some render node to treat them as priority. When each user submit their job, he will type his name as in the cluster field.

2. To further automate the arrangement, can I set by default when each user such as Thomas login in Windows, the qb.conf will be modified to client_cluster=/Thomas, and when Tom login the same machine, the qb.conf will be modified to client_cluster=/Tom?

Thanks.

1. A Worker can be a member of only one cluster at a time. In effect, you are trying to subvert the priority aspect of the clustering system. It's designed to classify various hosts in terms of priority so that jobs targeted to a specific cluster have priority over others. You're trying to even things out so everybody gets a share of the farm, which is not supported by the clustering scheme.
2. You could do this, but it would require some kind of login script and opening the write permission to the qb.conf.