Author Topic: Want to prevent file from being re-opened on each frame  (Read 3325 times)

soviut

Want to prevent file from being re-opened on each frame
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »
I'm trying to do a batch of low res test renders.  I have a few pre-render scripts that are run to disconnect shaders, etc. to improve the performance.

Each file takes approximately 6 minutes to open.  I'd like this to only happen once per CPU I dedicate to the job.  That is, I'd like if I assigned 1 CPU to a job, it would open the file once, run my pre-render scripts, render the first frame in the range, then keep the file open and render the next frame and so on.  As it stands, Qube wants to re-open the file for each frame, incurring a penalty of 6 extra minutes on top of a render time that's only about 30 seconds for that frame.

So far, the workaround I'm using is to simply avoid using the Qube --range flag, and instead hard code the ranges into the -s and -e maya flag in the maya Render command.  The downside is I get no feedback on my jobs except by watching the StdOut window.

eric

Re: Want to prevent file from being re-opened on each frame
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 02:10:56 AM »
You probably want to install and use the Maya Job Type. It will open the scenefile only once per subjob. It also should provide you the ability to designate pre and post render MEL scripts.