Author Topic: Jobs submitted from local machine or locally attached external storage  (Read 5091 times)

sosborne76

Is it possible to submit Maya jobs that are stored locally on the client workstation or on storage attached to that workstation? Jobs I have tried to submit in this way so far have failed because the "scene does not exist on execution machine". I assume the files cannot be accessed as Qube does not know how to reach them. Is it possible to submit the jobs in a way that a UNC path to the host is sent with the job on submission or that the scene files are packaged on submission and sent to the supervisor?

jesse

Re: Jobs submitted from local machine or locally attached external storage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »
If you are dealing with unc paths, I am guessing that you are operating from windows.  If this is the case, you can greatly simplify things by mapping the UNC paths to "network drive" letters.

You can then setup drive mappings to on each qube worker through the config program:
"C:\Program Files\pfx\qube\sbin\config.exe"

Maya does not play well with UNC paths anyhow, so this will be an easier way to handle it.  You could even map a local share as a drive letter using the loopback address: \\127.0.0.1\sharename.

Once you get it all lined up so that these network drive letters always point to the same location, you can simply tell qube to render something like Z:\mayafile.mb

cheers,
jesse

jason.fowler

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 04:53:17 AM »
Yeah, what Jesse said.  =)

There's not much more I can add, but you might want to check out the topic in the Qube! Knowledge Base, found at:

http://support.pipelinefx.com/wiki/index.php/Qube_Knowledge_Base#Render_errors_that_say_.22file_not_found..22_when_using_UNC_paths.

Thanks, jesse, and hope this helps, sosborne76!

-Jason Fowler
PipelineFX

sosborne76

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 04:18:06 PM »
I was working on creating mapped drives to local and external drives using UNC paths. Also ensuring that the sharing and security was set appropriately. But in the end I deemed the effort to be too flaky to be supported in a working environment (the college where I work). So I am going force people to submit jobs and render to a shared network store.