Author Topic: Submitting Maya jobs from an OSX client to a Win2003 Server farm  (Read 4086 times)

sosborne76

I just about know my way round OSX but that is as far as it goes. I have Maya, Qube core, and Maya job type installed on a Mac. But the jobs fail to run and it reports "Error: udp recieve socket timed out". Now my suspicion given other text in the script editor is that because the job is being run from a mounted volume the workers won't have any idea how to reach the files. However, the job isn't even being submitted. So is the non submission related to the volume issue, the OSX setup or something else? Is it even possible to submit a job from an OSX client on to a Windows 2003 Server based farm?

Thanks in advance.

jason.fowler

Re: Submitting Maya jobs from an OSX client to a Win2003 Server farm
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:33:17 AM »
Hi sosborne76,

It sounds like you might want to check your firewall settings, which could be causing the job submission to fail.  If you are unable to totally disable your firewall, please open up ports 50001, 50002, and 50011 on the workers and supervisor, and restart both the worker and supervisor services.

For reference, this information can also be found on our Qube! Knowledge Base, at:

http://support.pipelinefx.com/wiki/index.php/Qube_Knowledge_Base#What_ports_are_needed_by_Qube_to_.22punch.22_through_the_firewall.3F

Hope this helps!

-Jason Fowler
PipelineFX

sosborne76

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »
I have managed to submit a job now to the render farm. I needed to make some client side Qube configuration changes in this case.

However, as expected the workers can not access the mb files so the submitted jobs are failing...

ERROR: scenefile [/Volumes/submissions/FruityMMM/Fruit04.mb] does not exist on the execution machine

Now if i was running the job on an OSX based farm I would have look into this...

http://support.pipelinefx.com/wiki/index.php/Qube_Knowledge_Base#Set_up_Linux_or_OS_X_to_handle_jobs_with_UNC_paths

But the job is being submitted to Windows 2003 Server farm. Is it even possible to do this? And if so how can I configure the machines to use a common network server (a Win 2003 Server referenced using this path \\vanguard\submissions)?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

sosborne76

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »
I have managed to successfully render a job from an OSX client on a Windows 2003 farm. I did this by submitting the job via the QubeGUI. The trick is to manually type the path to the scene file, project directory and render directory using the following format //server/folder . By using this path there are no problems in job submission and Windows workers can access the paths. To clarify the process for the users perspective I want to initialise the submission dialog in the QubeGUI with the NAS path. Not sure how to do this but I will figure it out.

Perhaps similar submissions via the Qube GUI in Windows can be made for an OSX based farm.

I am a little disappointed at the lack of an official line on this issue and the fact that there is no documented method to do this in the first place. Qube maybe 'multi-platform' but it isn't exactly friendly in a mixed environment.