Author Topic: How do I have Maya use all cores/processors for a render process?  (Read 6399 times)

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
How do I have Maya use all cores/processors for a render process?
« on: September 30, 2008, 05:09:34 AM »
Qube allows the applications to determine the number of threads/cores to render with for each render process.   For Maya, XSI, and other multi-threaded renderers, it is usually ideal to have each machine only have 1 render process running per machine, but use all cores.

For example, in Maya's case, Maya will choose the optimal number of threads already.  The only configuration change needed is to tell the Qube Workers to only have 1 render running on each machine at the same time.

Here are the steps to make that change:
1) Open the QubeGUI
2) Click on the Host Layout Panel
3) Select all of your Worker/Hosts
4) Right-click, select "Lock/Unlock...", and put "1" in the resulting dialog.

That will make it so that each Worker will only perform 1 render process (one frame at a time), but use all available cores.

BrodyB

Re: How do I have Maya use all cores/processors for a render process?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:53:18 AM »
Is this still true for the latest version of qube?  We have been having trouble with one shot in particular that one render needs most of the host machines memory, so we need to use all cores for the one job.  Is there a way to make sure all cores on the machine are being utilized and not just one?