Author Topic: Submitting a realflow job?  (Read 5265 times)

Bizzywater

Submitting a realflow job?
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:44:21 PM »
What is the realflow job submission for? Is it used right from realflow to run simulations or submitting a job from a 3d package containing a realflow mesh?
The reason I ask is because I am having trouble rendering a scene from maya containing a realflow simulation mesh. The scene consists of an olive on a toothpick dropping into a martini glass and splashing. Since there is so much glass there is a ray depth limit of 12 and is obviously quite render intensive taking 8 hours a frame to render properly on 4 cpu's per frame. The problem is that only 1 of about ten frames is rendering properly, the other 9 frames are rendering everything except the liquid mesh. The frame says complete but when I check the log I get this error for every frame that skipped the liquid:
       Error: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : unnamed object is not a mesh, ignored
Is this an error derived from inside maya or an error from improperly submitting to qube?

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
Re: Submitting a realflow job?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
The Realflow jobtype is to offload a Realflow simulation from Realflow to a single machine on the renderfarm.  Since simulations typically need information from the previous frame(s), it it advised to render it on a single machine.

We are not specifically familiar with the realflow geometry simulation details from within maya.  However, for your work, you may want to consider running Maya BatchRender jobtype and or enabling any simulation caches.  If the simulation can be run first and cached to disk, then it typically makes it easier to render across multiple machines.

As a last resort, one can render the entire animation on a single machine over the entire frame range with Maya BatchRender (though Qube or outside of Qube).