Author Topic: Renderman Jobtype  (Read 7990 times)

Yantor

Renderman Jobtype
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:17:06 PM »
For our pipeline we are generating RiB archives and then trying to run them through Qube to render, since we have more render licenses for PRMan than for RMFM. The job "completes" but every subjob is a failure, with the following error in Stdout:

R12001 {ERROR}  File renderman/sc00_sh00/rib/0001/frameCompile.0001.rib cannot be opened by RiReadArchive. (System Error: No such file or directory)

Which is perplexing because the file exists.

Also, a warning that shows up in Stderr but doesn't seem to be fatal is:

WARNING: getOutputFilenames() not implemented yet at C:\Program Files (x86)\pfx\jobtypes/renderman/RenderManJob.pm line 283.

We are running Qube 5.4.6 in a Windows 7 environment, hosting from a Windows Server 2008 supervisor. I'm not sure why we're getting Renderman error R12001 and would appreciate some help.

shinya

• Administrator
Re: Renderman Jobtype
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 12:43:05 AM »
Hi Yantor,

If you have relative paths set in your main RIB file, then your prman process
must be started up in the correct working directory.  Use the "Working dir" box
to specify the directory that contains the "renderman" directory.

If the working directory is not explicitly specified, the job uses the
directory containing the main RIB file as the default working directory.

Yantor

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »
Ah, wonderful. It works (at least on the test). Now, for the next question;

using the mtor jobtype, I am trying to do an RibGen jobtype so we can batch generate the RiB files for our scenes (previously we just manually generated them in Maya). When I do, we get a nasty error;

WARNING: Cannot find an executable matching exactly the version [14.4] in your PATH or in any of the system's standard locations at C:\Program Files\pfx\qube\api/perl/JobType.pm line 514.
WARNING: In fact, no executable file was found anywhere at C:\Program Files\pfx\qube\api/perl/JobType.pm line 521.
ERROR: exception caught in ->run()
ERROR: cannot find a suitable mtor executable at C:\Program Files (x86)\pfx\jobtypes/mtor/GenribJob.pm line 54.

The warning lines nicely point to the line of code that calls the error, which is useless, and I'm a little iffy at reading Perl. So I'm wondering, where is the ->run() command looking that returns the error on finding an mtor executable?

shinya

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 09:28:02 PM »

Try adding the path to your installation of mtor to the "app_paths" parameter in the
job.conf, to the front of it.  You'll find the file in the mtor jobtype's folder, and you'll
need to make that change to all of your workers.

Yantor

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:08:29 PM »
Oops, was pointing it at the wrong location. The job now submits without dying but hangs on a running status, no active subjobs. Stderr shows no errors, just a warning about pipe buffer size, and stdout has no errors, just a successful query of the environment variables, the PKG variable (which looks like the job submission info), and for some reason it calls an Adobe object,

INFO: [cwd=C:/Program Files/Common Files/Adobe/Adobe Version Cue CS4/Client/4.0.1]

and then returns the search path for mtor.exe, finds it, and notes the desired version (8.0.1, according to what I can find). After that, nothing, job stalls.

I've dug through the forum looking for other mtor errors and have already edited my TCLProcessor.pm file to look for tclsh85 instead of tclsh. Looking at the sub Start section of the TclProcessor, I note that I haven't seen the text feedback it is supposed to give me when TCL starts, leading me to believe that it isn't launching...I checked my environment variables and C:\Tcl\bin is in there...

Ideas? I wish the Stdout and Stderr were more talkative.

shinya

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »
Hi Yantor,

I can't figure out why it's doing anything with "Adobe" paths-- would you be able
to send us the complete job log from a job that failed, to support <at> pipelinefx.com?
FYI, the instructions are listed below.  Please be descriptive in your email Subject, and
also mention this forum thread in the body. 

Thanks!
-shinya.
----
In order to address your problem more completely, please send us the job log directory for the job in question.

You can locate the directory by logging into your Supervisor, and looking for the job log folder in the following location (depending upon your Supervisor platform):

Windows XP
\Program Files\pfx\qube\logs\job

Windows 2008/Vista
\ProgramData\Pfx\Qube\logs\job

Linux, OS X
/var/spool/qube/job

In that folder, you will find a numbered directory that corresponds to the number of thousands in the job ID. (ID < 1000 = 0) Search in one of these folders for the one that corresponds to the correct job ID.

Zip up the entire job ID folder and reply to this email message with the zipped file.

If the zipped job ID folder turns out to be larger than 2MB, don't send it, but let us know and we will help you address the problem in an alternative fashion.