Author Topic: Mixed OS X/Linux & Windows 7 path tranlations  (Read 4513 times)

sz

Mixed OS X/Linux & Windows 7 path tranlations
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
Hi

I am running a mainly Linux/OS X farm. Sharing NFS mount to to OS X and Linux Workers at /mnt/ren. All the Clients are on OS X. Every thing is working great.

But I want to add a couple of Windows 7 workers into the mix, I have mounted the NFS share as X: on the windows workers, works great.  But I'm struggling to work out the submission path translations. I just need to translate /mnt/ren to X: easy right?

If I us the submission side translation from the GUI it works fine on the Windows Workers but not on the OSX/Linux Workers, because it is translating /mnt/ren to X: for all workers. I need this translation to happen on the JUST the windows workers.

Is there a worker specific translation config that I can tweak to make this work??

Any nudge in the right direction would be great, thanks.

SZ

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
Re: Mixed OS X/Linux & Windows 7 path tranlations
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »
The path translation is all done at submit time.  However there are some direct ways to align Linux/OSX and Windows paths that should work for you.

Use UNC paths and symbolic links on Linux/OSX
Instead of using a drive letter like X:, use UNC paths on Windows.  For example, use //ren/path/to/file.ma.  Then on Linux and OSX, use symbolic links so that /myserver/path/to/file.ma is valid.

ln -s /mnt/ren /ren

Vista/Windows 7 Alternative:
With Vista and Windows 7, you may also be able to use symbolic links as done with Linux and OSX.

On Windows machine:
    mkdir \mnt
    mkdir \mnt\ren
    cd \mnt\ren
    mklink /D yourpath \\ren\yourpath

You can also reference our Knowledge Base posting at:
http://www.pipelinefx.com/support/knowledgeBase.php#Set_up_Linux_or_OS_X_to_handle_jobs_with_UNC_paths