Author Topic: License per host  (Read 2753 times)

Jan Sichermann

License per host
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
Hi,

Having looked over the documentation for global resources, scoped licenses and the ability to update licenses through the license server, I'm wondering if there's a simple solution for the following problem:

Assume a studio wide availability of 10 Licenses for Software A.
Software A is licensed per host rather than per slot.
We have 20 workers with 8 slots each.
Best case scenario would be to have 80 slots running (10 hosts each consuming 1 license even though running 8 slots each)

Is there an easy way to
(a) let qube know that multiple slots running on the same host consume only one license rather than one license per slot?
(b) do so in a way that is dynamic in that the licenses can be allocated to any of the 20 workers currently idle, not bound to a specific set of 10 hosts (in other words without using local resource definition on 10 specific hosts)
(c) have qube realize that once a host consumes a license (i.e. a single slot is executing a subjob consuming a license) it would be prudent to dispatch enough subjobs to that exact worker to fill all slots available on said worker before dispatching to another worker (in order to use licenses most efficiently)

Thanks!

jburk

• Administrator
Re: License per host
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 06:28:40 PM »
This "licenses shared across a host" is a feature that we will be releasing in Qube 6.2, due for release in early May.  Stay tuned to the Announcements forum...

I believe you will be able to specify these types of licenses by

global-host.<licenseName>=<licenseCount>

Your description is pretty much the specification we used to develop this feature.