Author Topic: Not reassigning host slots  (Read 6078 times)

sosborne76

Not reassigning host slots
« on: January 11, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »
I have noticed a general behaviour with my Qube installation. For instance if there were a number of jobs being processed the most recently submitted job could complete but its slots would not be reassigned to older still running jobs. Why is this? Is it a configuration issue or normal behaviour.

It makes sense to me that it works in a FIFO manner especially in a college environment.

Any thoughts?

shinya

• Administrator
Re: Not reassigning host slots
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:03:15 PM »
Hi sosborne76,

It sounds like a bug, and we've had a few customers run into a similar issue.

May I ask what version your supervisor is? In particular, what does a "qbping" on the command prompt say? 

Also, what is your supervisor platform?

You might remove the 'stub_optimize' flag from the supervisor_flags setting; this will disable some scheduling optimizations, but will allow for more strict adherence to the first-in/first-out and priority scheduling.
You'll need to restart the supe once you make the change.

sosborne76

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »
Its version 6.0.1 and its on a relatively new Win 2008 R2 build.

Although to be honest i did notice this behaviour on a version 5.5/Win 2003 R2 build.

shinya

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:20:38 PM »
Thanks for the version info.
Please do try removing the "stub_optimize" flag, and let us know how it goes.

BTW, we're about to release (early next week, if not this week) 6.1.1 and 6.0.2 maintenance releases, and they do have some improvements in this very area, so you may want to try it out when it's out. If you're going to go to 6.1, you'll need a new license (free upgrade if you're on support), so please be aware.

-shinya.

sosborne76

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 09:47:58 AM »
I have 6.0.1 installed on the supervisor, does this license not cover 6.1 (and 6.x for that matter)?

I will try removing that flag.

sosborne76

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 10:13:43 AM »
I changed the flag and performed a basic test when the farm was idle (locked a couple of workers, submitted big job, submitted small job to locked workers, unlocked them, small job completed, idle workers were then pulled into big job). So it seems to work but I will be interested to see it in a proper live environment. I will keep you posted.

By the way do I need a new license for the supe (which is 6.0.1) if I want to run 6.1?

jburk

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
You will need to request a 6.1 license.

mim

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:14:57 AM »
just FYI:

i had the same problem this night running on Qube 6.4-0 bld-2012.08.27.18.44.30

only 5 out of 10  nodes received the "old" job after the previous finished. workers stayed online but idle. restarting the workers didn't help, but resubmitting the job did.

i'll try removing the stub_optimize flag and keep you posted.

mim

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:36:52 PM »
stub doesn't change a thing......

still have the issue that high-priority jobs won't assign even to idle workers which is pretty annoying.
cluster/groups and so on are all correct but the idle workers will only accept the job when i resubmit it.