Author Topic: mac to win path translations  (Read 7231 times)

Jabar

mac to win path translations
« on: April 07, 2008, 05:27:46 PM »
I'm trying to submit from a mac supervisor to a windows renderfarm.
Where or how do I set the paths to convert. I want to go from /Volumes/bearbums to //sunrise-server/bearbums or Z:/bearbums.
Any help appreciated :-)

slaille

Re: mac to win path translations
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:39:32 AM »
We have the nearly same problem, we are using mac and pc workers, and pc clients...

Clients are exporting final renders in a network drive usually R:\\renders\, windows workers are ok, but mac workers can't find this kind of path.

is there a way to map this R:\\ virtual drive in mac OS?

jbrandibas

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »
You are not alone.  I am about to run in multiple worker/client environments, both mac and PC clients with mac and PC workers.  Some means of getting them all together with the same drive mappings would make my life so much easier.  Right now my major problem is getting a job submitted from a mac to work on a PC worker that connects to a windows share.  I can currently submit from a mac or pc to a mac worker with no mjor problem, but I can't get the PC worker to attach at all.

sosborne76

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 11:41:23 AM »
Can't help here but I can sympathise. I am trying to submit Mac jobs (Maya) to a Windows farm. And of course network attached drives are mounted through the volumes folder so are unreadable on Windows workers.

I am toying with the idea of making a custom submission command by using simple command and using a predefined network path with only the folder being defined at subs time. But I haven't used simplecmd yet so I don't know how doable it will be.

jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 03:25:39 AM »
I've had some luck with wrapping up my own commandline type job and using maya's -preRender flag.  In my preRender mel I used the dirmap command.  I did this for rendering from windows with mapped drives to Linux with nfs mounted drives.

Code: [Select]
render -preRender 'dirmap -enable 1; dirmap -m "Z:/" "/NASBOX1/"; dirmap -m "Y:/" "/NASBOX2/";' /path/to/some/file.mb

Of course then your /path/to/some/file.mb must be readable by the worker that is going to pick it up.  So that's not very good for a mixed environment farm.

Another important note with preRender, it does not run until the whole file including references has been loaded.  This means that reference loading will not get any of this handy dir mapping.

Good luck.

sosborne76

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
I have managed to successfully render a job from an OSX client on a Windows 2003 farm. I did this by submitting the job via the QubeGUI. The trick is to manually type the path to the scene file, project directory and render directory using the following format //server/folder . By using this path there are no problems in job submission and Windows workers can access the paths. To clarify the process for the users perspective I want to initialise the submission dialog in the QubeGUI with the NAS path. Not sure how to do this but I will figure it out.

Perhaps similar submissions via the Qube GUI in Windows can be made for an OSX based farm.

I am a little disappointed at the lack of an official line on this issue and the fact that there is no documented method to do this in the first place. Qube maybe 'multi-platform' but it isn't exactly friendly in a mixed environment.