Author Topic: Patching frames in Qube  (Read 4783 times)

Nitro

Patching frames in Qube
« on: March 10, 2009, 08:59:57 PM »
Hello,

I am relatively new to Qube. My last employer used Spider and the one thing I miss is the ability to patch frames so quickly which so far I cannot find in Qube.

Specifically in Spider, lets say you had a a render of 100 frames and 10 were bunk. All you had to do was delete the 10 bunk frames from the directory and then tell the job to patch. It auto read the frames missing and immediately started rendering from 90%.

With Qube, as far as I am told, the quickest way that patching can be done is by selecting the frames that read as complete or failed in the Agenda/ Frames tab individually and telling them to retry. The even slower option being submitting a new job by typing in all the bunk frames manually. Either way this seems kinda slow compared to what a 2 bit program like Spider is able to do with its patch command.

It would really help if someone had an answer maybe I have completed missed that Qube has a patch feature? It would be a big time saver since bunk frames are almost never sequential and take time to resubmit

Thanks

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
Re: Patching frames in Qube
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
Qube can do some of what you are saying already.  If all the "bunk" frames are listed as "failed", then one can right-click on the job and select the "Retry Failed Frames..." option.  Qube will then scan the job for failed frames and automatically retry them. 

Many of the Qube jobtypes perform some sanity checking on either the resulting frames or scan the returned stdout/stderr to determine if a frame has "failed".  However, if the frame is for some reason reported as "complete" by the renderer and passes through these filters, then you will have to manually select the frames to retry.

Nitro

Re: Patching frames in Qube
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 02:36:44 AM »
Thanks for the response.

Yeah I can't believe that isn't a feature as previously it was so nice to be able to just delete 1kb frames that had read as complete, those that I call bunk frames and then tell Spider to "patch"...done. Also it is good for renders that have a problem which had nothing to do with Qube...say a texture is flickering randomly on different frames. It is so easy to visually select and delete them and patch without having to write them all down and then manually retry or resubmit.

In the interest of not starting extra threads. Could you tell me if there is a setting that allows me to delete old jobs from my queue without everyone else having them disappear from Qube.

Hate to say it but this was another good thing about Spider since they had a network queue list and then the local one you could delete. Every dept wants to keep their old jobs to send changes to which means in render I have to fish thru so many dead jobs to find the ones I am looking for and even with the filters it takes extra time.

thanks
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 02:45:11 AM by Nitro »