Author Topic: Install Client on Network?  (Read 8448 times)

njushchyshyn

Install Client on Network?
« on: March 06, 2009, 06:30:53 PM »
Is it possible to install the client on a specified network directory.
I'd really like to have the client (and even more importantly, the SimpleCmd directory) based on the network to centralize management of submission scripts.
This is particularly useful as we roll out new applications or new versions of applications.

njushchyshyn

Re: Install Client on Network?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:39:30 PM »
So ... as a current work-around on our Mac clients, I've renamed the simplecmds directory as "simplecmds_old" and created a symbolic link in its place that points to a network directory containing the simple commands' code.

This seems to be working so far and allows the management of the commands to be centralized, though, I'm guessing that re-establishing the symbolic link will be needed after any Qube client upgrades, and I'm not sure if this solution would really work on a windows system.

shinya

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 02:16:55 AM »
Hi njushchyshyn,

I'm assuming you're referring to the QubeGUI when you say "client"?

While I believe it can be installed on a network location, I will need our
GUI guy to chime in on the specific procedures.  Please hang on
while I get him in the loop.

Thanks!

-shinya.

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:21:19 AM »
Yes, one can install and run the QubeGUI from a network directory.  This will allow one to only have to update the files in a single location. 

A symbolic link from /Applications/pfx/ and for /etc/qb.conf  to the network path would also offload the files to a central location.  Below is further information specific to the QubeGUI and options available.

NON-LOCAL QUBEGUI
Everything in the QubeGUI (qube.app) is self contained in that one file.  It can be moved to the network and have it run from there instead of being installed locally. 

One will want to explicitly specify the supervisor "qube.exe --supervisor <yourSupervisorHostname>" or have a qb.conf file for each client (stored in either c:\WINDOWS\ or /etc/ depending on the platform).  On OSX, the qubegui executable path will be under qube.app/Contents/MacOS/qube.  Calling the QubeGUI from the commandline is what the submission interfaces for AfterEffects and some other applications use.

SIMPLECMD PATHS
Alternatively, the ability to specify additional search paths for SimpleCmds (the submission interfaces) was added in QubeGUI 5.4.  It can be modified for each user under QubeGUI "Preferences...".

FIXES
We would recommend that you download the latest QubeGUI (currently 5.4.5) as there are a few fixes related to this functionality.  See the release notes for all additions (Help->Release Notes...) and a summary of the major enhancements on the website (http://support.pipelinefx.com).

FIX:       SimpleCmds: Adjusting simplecmd search path order to put additional simplecmd paths ahead
            of the default simplecmd/ path.  This allows one to override the default simplecmds with
            ones from a network path.

@FIX:       Launching: Addressed limitation that launching qube.exe needed to be done from current
            working directory or from an absolute path.  Issue was with py2exe compiled version py2exe [Windows only]

njushchyshyn

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:48 PM »
Thanks Scot. I'll give it a shot.

njushchyshyn

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:08:19 PM »
Hey Scott...
So, this is working in terms of adding network-based commands and overriding local ones

... but ....

I'd like to cull out all the job types that we wouldn't use in our shop, but removing commands from the local directory doesn't seem to work, because the UI regenerates them every time it launches.

Is there any way to configure the UI so it ONLY uses the commands found in the "additional" path?

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 11:34:09 PM »
You should be able to remove the simplecmds locally from the simplecmds/ directory.  You should be able to go under File->Open SimpleCmds directory and remove those local versions. 

Where are you seeing it "autogenerate" the simplecmds on launch, where are you seeing them and on what platform?

njushchyshyn

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »
Using Qube 5.4.5 on Windows XP.
My test procedure was to....
Open Qube
Use the Show Simple Cmds directory command to open the directory in the finder.
Select all the contents of the folder.
Delete the files.
Close Qube.
Run Qube again.

With the SimpleCmds directory still open, I see all the files re-appear as Qube starts up ... and that full list of commands is available again in the menu in Qube.

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 05:28:30 PM »
Please remove both the .py and the .pyc files for the simplecmds that you want to remove.  The .py files are automatically compiled into .pyc files by python when Qube starts up. 

That could account for the auto-generated files you are describing.

njushchyshyn

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
The thing is, these files all regenerate even if the folder is empty ... or removed entirely. Is there something else in another directory that I should be removing?

Scot Brew

• PipelineFX
Issue: Autoloading simplecmds if QubeGUI launched from desktop shortcut
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 11:53:24 PM »
Good news!  We have been able to reproduce this "autoloading of the simplecmds" issue and we also have a workaround for you.

Steps to reproduce:
  • Remove the contents of the C:\Program Files\pfx\qube\bin\simplecmds\ directory.
  • Launch the QubeGUI from the Qube desktop shortcut.
  • A window will pop up saying that it is installing components before it launches the QubeGUI if the simplecmd files are not present.

Issue: The Qube shortcut on the desktop is tied to the msi to auto-install any missing components.  It needs to be disabled from doing this from the msi. 

Workaround: Here is how to fix it for immediate use so it will not auto-load any simplecmd files upon launch:
  • Delete the original shortcut created by the msi on installation.
  • Create a new shortcut on the desktop for the C:\Program Files\pfx\qube\bin\qube.exe application. 
  • Launch the QubeGUI from that new shortcut

A bug report has been written up and it will be handled in future releases.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:54:57 PM by Scot Brew »