Author Topic: [Question]Try to use maya.standalone module for job  (Read 5148 times)

ranw0477

[Question]Try to use maya.standalone module for job
« on: September 08, 2010, 04:21:12 AM »
Hi,
Our studio just purchased Qube. I have some experience on writing python scripts to create tools for houdini, maya... but never did something like this before. So I want to know if I can achieve this:

1. I want use Qube to manage maya to export point cloud files.
we are a houdini based studio, but for some reason we have to do a project's animation in maya. So we want to export pc seqs from maya and rebuild the animatied models in houdini and render. I wroted a small python script to store point info in .obj files, basicly it open up the maya scene file using maya.standalone module, then get all objects and write out point infos to a .obj file per frame.

So now I want to know is their a easy way for me to make qube manage this process for me? Do I need to implement a new job type or can I just use some simplecmd?

I hope someone can give me some suggestions,  rough plan would be even better, cause I dont have a clue for now, thanks! ;)

jburk

• Administrator
Re: [Question]Try to use maya.standalone module for job
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 07:12:23 PM »
Which version of Maya are you running, and does it have a 'mayapy'?

ranw0477

Re: [Question]Try to use maya.standalone module for job
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »
We are using maya2011 linux 64, yes we have mayapy installed.

Actually we want to do something more complex:
First we open a maya file and export out the obj point seq.

Then we bring them into a houdini scene with models inside, so the obj point seq can drive the models.

And we render out this houdini scene.

In the end we bring the rendered img seqs into rvio or nuke to render out a QT preview.

I think to achieve this I have to write callback scripts, maybe new job types. But I dont have too much experiece on API develop and just got into this task for several days. So I really want to know if there are any practial examples for me to check ???