Author Topic: Hosting Qube's Supe Database on another server.  (Read 5118 times)

josh

Hosting Qube's Supe Database on another server.
« on: June 08, 2007, 11:09:41 PM »
Hello - we would like to host the qube database on another server... I couldnt find anything in the installation or development guides to help me do this. Could you let me know if it's possible?

Thanks,
Josh

eric

Re: Hosting Qube's Supe Database on another server.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:21:45 PM »
Hello - we would like to host the qube database on another server... I couldnt find anything in the installation or development guides to help me do this. Could you let me know if it's possible?

Thanks,
Josh

Yes, you can certainly place your database on another server. You will need to set some configuration variables on your Supervisor:

• database_host -- MySQL server host
  • database_user -- MySQL user account
  • database_password -- MySQL password for database_user
  • database_port -- Port for connecting to MySQL server

You can find out more about these variables starting on page 133 of the Administration manual.

anthony

• Senior Software Engineer
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:29:05 PM »
Hey Josh,

We're getting into the realm of knobs and dials we don't normally talk about even in the docs.  (This is mostly cause it can cause most users great pain and suffering) however if you are adventurous enough to setup your database on another server, here are the settings:

Note: we only support mysql

################################################
database_host = <name of the host or ip address>

Database host is the name or ip address of the machine you are hosting mysql.  The hostname must be resolvable by the host and also available.

database_user = <name of the user to access database>

The user account to login to mysql with.  This user must have CREATE and
DROP privileges on the mysql server.

database_password = <password plain text>

The password to login with, it is plain text.

database_prefix = <text to use for prefixing all created databases>

New as of Qube! 5.1, the prefix to use when naming all databases on the
server.  Please use only characters [a-z] and _
database_flags = <extra settings>  (currently we only have "lazy")
   lazy makes the supervisor keep it's mysql connections open rather than closing them after every transaction (must be very careful with this option since the supervisor can open many connections).

Ex. database_flags = lazy

With these settings, it makes it possible to setup a supervisor using a remote database.  It also makes it possible to create multiple supervisor hosts which coordinate with each other using the mysql server.  However, you will need to network mount the log directories:

supervisor_logpath = <network mounted file system>

There are other settings which you would probably find useful as well which compliment these.

supervisor_flags = ignore_duplicate_peer,<other flags>

ignore_duplicate_peer allows the supervisor to start up even if it sees another supervisor using it's domain which has the same supervisor id.  It is used when you want to setup multiple supervisors using the same database.

Thanks,
       Anthony

josh

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:40:05 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses! I'll be sure I am able to submit / delete and modify all submitted jobtypes before we switch it over to production.

ps. I love knobs and dials...